Selfless Sewing: Baby Boy Rompers

Baby Boy Rompers | Pattern . Paint . PanTwo of my closest friends (who’s wedding I made this dress for) recently welcomed their first child, which of course is the perfect excuse to make more tiny clothes.

Annoyingly I didn’t have access to a printer, so I spent a while drawing out a pattern from a downloaded PDF on my tiny netbook screen. I based my pattern off this baby boy romper by Melly Sews, which is available as a free download (if you sign up to her newsletter or have a Craftsy account) in age 0-3 months, and in her shop in larger sizes. I did make some changes though:

  • Rounded the corners of both front and back straps
  • Eliminated the side seam between the front and back leg pieces to make a single leg piece
  • French seamed the front and back crotch seam
  • Added a doubled over strip for the snap closures instead of turning the edges under
  • Finished the leg hem with binding

The construction is simple enough, not that I read the instructions. I was pretty worried about the sizing because they simultaneously looked too small and too big, but my sister half convinced me they were ok.Baby Boy Rompers | Pattern . Paint . PanThe first fabric is Jungle Animals from the Makower Jungle collection that I bought from the Remnant House in Bude last summer. The shoulders fasten with buttons, and the crotch with snaps.

Baby Boy Rompers | Pattern . Paint . PanThe second fabric is A Musical Affair by Fabric Freedom in the blue colourway, from Mo’s Fabric and Dance in Rugby, my new local fabric store. I wanted something slightly less traditionally baby-ish, and had seen this guitar pattern months ago in Birmingham, but unfortunately could only find the burgundy colourway in Rugby, so ended up with the musical notes instead. I added some coordinating teal for the pocket, initial tag and leg binding. The shoulder straps are also closed with snaps.

I used sew on snaps, which is probably my only regret; I should have been organised enough to get some hammer on ones as I think they look much neater. Plus I kinda wish I’d redone the topstitching on the front pocket. But overall, they’re pretty cute. Though not as cute as their recipient!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s