Selfless Sewing: Baby Boy Rompers

Baby Boy Rompers | Pattern . Paint . PanTwo of my closest friends (who’s wedding I made this dress for) recently welcomed their first child, which of course is the perfect excuse to make more tiny clothes.

Annoyingly I didn’t have access to a printer, so I spent a while drawing out a pattern from a downloaded PDF on my tiny netbook screen. I based my pattern off this baby boy romper by Melly Sews, which is available as a free download (if you sign up to her newsletter or have a Craftsy account) in age 0-3 months, and in her shop in larger sizes. I did make some changes though:

  • Rounded the corners of both front and back straps
  • Eliminated the side seam between the front and back leg pieces to make a single leg piece
  • French seamed the front and back crotch seam
  • Added a doubled over strip for the snap closures instead of turning the edges under
  • Finished the leg hem with binding

The construction is simple enough, not that I read the instructions. I was pretty worried about the sizing because they simultaneously looked too small and too big, but my sister half convinced me they were ok.Baby Boy Rompers | Pattern . Paint . PanThe first fabric is Jungle Animals from the Makower Jungle collection that I bought from the Remnant House in Bude last summer. The shoulders fasten with buttons, and the crotch with snaps.

Baby Boy Rompers | Pattern . Paint . PanThe second fabric is A Musical Affair by Fabric Freedom in the blue colourway, from Mo’s Fabric and Dance in Rugby, my new local fabric store. I wanted something slightly less traditionally baby-ish, and had seen this guitar pattern months ago in Birmingham, but unfortunately could only find the burgundy colourway in Rugby, so ended up with the musical notes instead. I added some coordinating teal for the pocket, initial tag and leg binding. The shoulder straps are also closed with snaps.

I used sew on snaps, which is probably my only regret; I should have been organised enough to get some hammer on ones as I think they look much neater. Plus I kinda wish I’d redone the topstitching on the front pocket. But overall, they’re pretty cute. Though not as cute as their recipient!

Advertisements

The Tiniest Clothes

Little Geranium Dress & Perfect Diaper Cover | Pattern . Paint . PanI’m one of 5 girls and 2 boys, but that trend seems to have been reversed in the next generation as I so far have 5 nephews and only one niece, who I was 9000 miles away from when she was a baby.

So when one of my closest friends had a baby girl, my plans to make burp cloths from some Makower jungle animals fabric went out the window when I realised I finally could make tiny dresses!Little Geranium Dress | Pattern . Paint . PanI settled on the free Little Geranium dress by Made By Rae and Perfect Diaper Cover by Dana Made It, with some mini blue and white floral cotton from Trago Mills. To be honest, it was a bit of a mission choosing fabric, trying to take into account my taste, my friend’s taste, my friend’s husband’s taste and suitability of colours and patterns for a tiny baby, but at least I’m happy with it!

I followed the directions for the dress despite my normal construction method for a lined bodice being different, and next time I’ll go back to my old way as I just find it easier. My skirt gathering was a little crap as I stupidly didn’t mark half and quarter points to line up with the bodice. I used sew in poppers instead of button holes as apparently they are easier to un/fasten than buttons. Overall, it wasn’t as fast to sew as I thought it would be, but this was down to the fiddliness of sewing something so small when I’m more used to sewing for at least an age 5. It’s a great basic pattern with big potential for variations, and is also available in larger sizes (0-5 and 6-12years) for $10 each size group.

Perfect Diaper Cover | Pattern . Paint . PanThe instructions for the nappy cover are equally easy to follow, but this time I did ignore them for the leg binding. I did try it Dana’s way with folding the fabric in on itself to make a tube for the elastic, but I couldn’t get over how unpretty all the wrinkles were. Instead I made some bias binding, sewed it to the wrong side and folded it all over to the front. I actually prefer the look of this as then the inside only has a row of stitches and no ridge of fabric that could rub the skin. I french seamed the side and crotch seams. I’m not sure how what size little I is now, but her birth weight was about average, so I used the amount of elastic given in the instructions.

I’m really happy with how my gifts turned out, and I’m just hoping they fit for at least a little bit. I don’t know how practical they are really, but every girl should have a pretty dress, even if she’s not yet 3 weeks old! Now to find more baby girls to sew for…

(Apologies for the dodgy photos, these were the trial ones to find which background was best, but I was so excited to get it in the mail that I forgot to take proper photos the next day, duh.)Little Geranium Dress & Perfect Diaper Cover | Pattern . Paint . Pan